Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Piano Lessons......Christmas Season

today I had a piano lesson, and it went really well. there are a few songs that I started working on that I have not finished, and there was also a song that I simply did not like and did not ever want to do ever again! well today I decided I want to give that song another try. it had been a few years ago since I last tried the song. I brought with me a few books, and one of them was my hymn book, I have not played a church hymn for so long, and I thought it would be a nice change in my daily circle of songs that I always play.

the song that I use to not like to play, that I thought was such a difficult church hymn, is page 284. it is called if you could high to colob. I played through it, and I told Ms.Pike, this song seems a lot easier that is was for me a few years ago, and I said that I actually liked the song. I remember a few years back I did not do well on the song, and I did not like it so I told her I did not want to continue working on it. well look at me now, here I am a few years later and the song seems easier to me now than it did a few years ago.

I am also learning a few more new songs that I did start to learn, but never made it through the rest of the song. it is one of Jon Schmidts, it is called "Renaissance Hymn" it is one of my favorite songs of his, as well as joannes favorite song of his. she loves that song! so I decided to pick back up on that song, and see where I get with that song.

after I got home from my piano lesson today, I sat at the piano and have been trying to find the perfect christmas song to play. I played through many songs. I have decided that through all of the songs I have played that are christmas songs, they are all to slow. so I decided I do not want a christmas song that is going to put me to sleep at the piano. I still have books that I want to play through to see if there are any songs that stand out to me that are not too slow and easy, but not too fast either. I want one that will be able to be easy to express, and show my emotions through, and one that I like. of course I like all christmas songs, but I do not like playing easy piano songs. I have decided that easy piano songs are to hard for me to play because they are so easy.......if that makes any sense at all!

tomorrow I am going to continue my search of christmas songs through my christmas piano books that I have. I have a pretty good idea of a few songs I want to play that are christmas songs, but I need to narrow them down to just a few songs, and not a whole bunch of songs, eventhough all of them may be my favorite songs.

I have one last bit of information I would like to share with you. today while I was at my piano lesson, Ms.Pike asked me how I practice my songs when I am home practicing the piano. I told her that when I practice my songs I sit down and I just play through the whole song, and that I do not go through the songs in sections. then she said it sounds like you have the "Erin Pike Tall Syndrome" what she means by that is that she use to (and I am sure she still does ocassionally) play through a song the whole way with out really going over the parts that really need attention. she said her piano teacher always use to tell her to practice a song in sections, or practice the spots that need the most work. so now she is telling me the same thing. I think we were supposed to be sisters but got to different families after we got here on earth. her an I are a lot alike when it comes to music. by that I mean we have as much talent and experience at the piano, and we both play the same way. I always understand what she is saying to me, and I always understand what she wants me to do. another thing is that she is a very kind person, and her and I get along so well, as friends and when we are in lessons. I have never had a piano lesson that I have been frustrated with everything. there was only one time when I was frustrated with one piece, and I cried but that has been quite a while ago. I love taking piano lessons from her, and I never want to stop taking them from her. she has taught me to believe that I can do anything no matter how difficult the piece of music is.

maybe tomorrow after I pick a christmas song., I will list it on here and let you know which one I decided to play.

Good Night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment