this morning,I woke up and while my mom was in the shower I snuck her presents into her room onto her pillow on her bed along with a card for mothers day. I had been prepared for mothers day a month in advance since I knew that I was taking my medical leave of absence, and I had no idea what my condition was going to be like while I was in the transition process of transitioning medications at that point.
anyway, she got out of the shower, and she found her presents laying on her bed and she loved what I had given her. I had given her some coasters that you can put photos in, and then a cute little thing that has a cute little saying on it and a little book that has a little story in it, plus I thought she could put pictures in it or memories in it that she wants to remember of being a mother.
then after that we spent our time getting ready to head out the door to go see my grandma in Idaho along with my Aunt Kathy. my Grandma has been in the Rexburg, Idaho nursing home for close to a month. the whole reason why she is in that place is because she broke her shoulder and had to have surgery to fix it, and was not resting well at home so everyone thought it was best that she was put in the care of a nursing home while she recovers. she has been recovering well. but, yesterday when my mom and I arrived at the nursing home my grandma did not look like the same person I had seen a few months ago. she looked terrible, and very daised like she had no idea what was going on around her, she looked like she may have been in pain.
we do know that she may have been heavily medicated though, to ease the pain for her, so that she was not hurting. when we got there my mom asked her mom (my grandma) if she knew what her name was and my grandma told my mom that her name was pete, and my mom just broke out in tears, but my mom understands why she did that. she knows thst she could have been heavily medicated for the pain. because at any other time in my grandma's life my granma has always known right off the bat who my mom is.
As the day went on my grandma kept looking better and she looked more comfortable and at ease. the nurses at the nursing home seemed so wonderful there, and treated her so wonderful. they treated her with such respect.
There were a few quite spiritual experiences today that my mom and I experienced at that nursing home with grandma. today they had groups of people from the college comming around and singing, and there was a group coming around to every room and singing hymns to all of the old people in their rooms, they even too requests if we had one. just the setting we were in and seeing all of these young men and wome in their beautiful suits and dresses in grandmas room was so spiritual. I could not even look at the group of people or I was going to cry. I cried any way, because they asked what song she likes and I said "I Stand All Amazed" which is on page 193 in the hymn book, and to see my grandma laying in her bed, singing along with them while this group of young men and women were in her room singing eas completely amazing! seeing her little lips move to every word was so touching and I could have just cried the whole time, I had to hold back the tears. I just wanted to hug this young group of people, because they don't even know how they brightened my grandmas day by singing her favorite song! I am sure that they brightened everyone's day that they went and sang to.
also another amazing thing happened today. my grandma has a hernia at the end of her esaphagous and for many years she has not been able to keep solid foods down. well today my mom and I witnessed my grandma eating Apple Sauce, potatoes and one other thing for the first time in a few years. it was an amazing day today.
ever since my uncle ronny passed away she has not been doing well, she got her gal bladder out the day of his funeral and after that she has lost all of this weight and it has been hard to keep her weight up, but now that we are able to keep her food down, msybe she will start gaining more weight. I just hope that all of this hard work of getting her to eat solids will pay off in the long run, and one day we may be able to get rid of her feeding tube.
what an amazing day, and I am so greatful that my mom and I were able to visit my grandma on Mothers day!
Happy Halloween!
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment